1. The Craftivist Collective have come up with a nifty idea for Valentine’s Day. For the third year running, the collective are hiding alternative Valentine’s letters and gifts across the UK, waiting to be found by unsuspecting members of the public and provoking them to think about the effects of climate change. Cult jewellery brand Tatty Devine have donated a design to Craftivist Collective, which the group have crafted into keyrings – each hidden letter will contain a keyring featuring the design. Check out the video where Josie Long demonstrates how to make your very own!
2. My hairdryer broke this week (for the second time), so in despair I exchanged it for an all-in-one-hairdryer-and-styling-brush-thing and managed to blowdry my hair all swishy! I was quite pleased. Like I just stepped out of a saaloooooon.
3. I gave a presentation this week to my Low Carbon Development class about the impacts of climate change on indigenous peoples. It went really well I think, and we had an interesting discussion afterwards. I showed this video as part of my presentation – a chief of the Achuar tribe in the Amazon, Peru, talks about the effects of oil drilling on his land.
4. We already know from last week how much I like cakes. And Valentine’s Day is just another excuse for some cake goodness in my book. Check out this video – it’s soooo cute.
5. Paul Price is a pretty super graphic designer who has been leaving signs like this all over Leeds. Please come to Brighton Paul!
6. We may have already established through this blog that, as well as cakes, I am also a fan of muppets. I love this picture! So real. I wish my doctor was a muppet. Sigh.
ANYWAY, the great muppet-related news, if you can believe it, is that the new muppet movie being released in November is about OIL! It’s going to be AMAZING. Here’s the synopsis:
On vacation in Los Angeles, Walter, the world’s biggest Muppet fan, and his friends Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams) from Smalltown, USA, discover the nefarious plan of oilman Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) to raze the Muppet Theater and drill for the oil recently discovered beneath the Muppets’ former stomping grounds.
To stage The Greatest Muppet Telethon Ever and raise the $10 million needed to save the theater, Walter, Mary and Gary help Kermit reunite the Muppets, who have all gone their separate ways: Fozzie now performs with a Reno casino house band called the Moopets, Miss Piggy is a plus-size fashion editor at Vogue Paris, Animal is in a Santa Barbara clinic for anger management, and Gonzo is a high-powered plumbing magnate.
It’s like they went into my dreams and made my ideal film.
7. I bought a book of poems by Mary Oliver this week, and I just love them. Here’s one of my favourites:
Did you too see it, drifting, all night, on the black river?
Did you see it in the morning, rising into the silvery air -
An armful of white blossoms,
A perfect commotion of silk and linen as it leaned
into the bondage of its wings; a snowbank, a bank of lilies,
Biting the air with its black beak?
Did you hear it, fluting and whistling
A shrill dark music – like the rain pelting the trees – like a waterfall
Knifing down the black ledges?
And did you see it, finally, just under the clouds -
A white cross Streaming across the sky, its feet
Like black leaves, its wings Like the stretching light of the river?
And did you feel it, in your heart, how it pertained to everything?
And have you too finally figured out what beauty is for?
And have you changed your life?