1. My sister Lauren came to visit this weekend! Oh it was so nice. I love her. That is all.
2. Sesame Street have done the best spoof of the Old Spice “I’m on a horse” ad – check it out. No one will ever convince me that there is a more intelligent show than Sesame Street. Apart from maybe Buffy.
3. Diane Atkinson is a suffragette historian who spoke at the Climate Rendezvous this week, and she is basically a complete legend. She had all sorts of incredibly interesting anecdotes I had never heard before. Did you know that the suffragettes blew up the refreshment kiosk at Kew for example? They took acid to golf courses and spelt out “No Votes, No Golf” on the grass. They damaged art works, with the result that in the summer of 1914 all women were banned from visiting museums, unless they had a letter of recommendation from a man. They smashed windows indiscriminately. Most interestingly, she said that although they are now largely described as a white, middle class movement, they weren’t. The papers took pictures of those who were richer (and therefore better dressed) because it was more scandalous, but there were plenty of working class women involved and lots of Indian women too. It was all just fascinating.
4. I saw the film Heartbreaker this week and it was amazing. It’s french AND they recreate THE dance from Dirty Dancing. I just don’t know what more you could want.
5. Talking of films, I can’t wait for Blue Valentine to get a release date over here. It stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, who are two of the most talented actors around in my book, I love them.
6. Having guests is good because it makes you cook, rather than just survive on cereal and oatcakes. And I’ve really enjoyed enjoyed cooking this week and am determined to keep it up! This is a pea and prawn risotto we made last night. Yum.
7. In honour of my favourite X Factor contestant*, Storm, here is Tim Minchin’s 9 minute beat poem of the same moniker.
*He’s not my favourite. I’m rooting for John, Mary, Rebecca and Cher.