I’m supposed to be going to a gig tonight where Agitator, darling of the Guardian this week, are playing, but it’s snowing outside and I kind of just want to snuggle up and keep reading my book (Freedom by Jonathan Franzen – really good so far). So, in honour of not going to the Agitator gig, here are some of my favourite protest songs. I know there’s loads I’ve missed out, so if you’ve got any good ones leave them in the comments below and I might do a part 2!
1. Agitator themselves. Scary video, great sound (love the fact there are no guitars).
2. My favourite protest song. I get teary eyed every time I listen to it.
3. Jessie J might be a new pop sensation, but I’m sure she has anti-capitalist, feminist leanings judging from these songs…
4. This girl sang this song outside Nick Clegg’s office. Super cool.
5. You can’t beat a bit of Les Mis. WHEN THE BEATING OF YOUR HEART ECHOES THE BEATING OF THE DRUMS…
6. Not much to say about this. Exquisite.
7. I love love love Kimya Dawson from the Moldy Peaches. Lots of socially conscious lyrics, if you’re looking for them.
8. Buffy Saint Marie is a legend, but we don’t hear so much about her here in the UK. She has done lots around indigenous rights AND appeared regularly on Sesame Street in the 70s. That is the mark of a proper 70s hippy.
9. Get inspired! Take this to your nearest Tesco…
10. Wow. Oh yes it will.