1. I have spent this week in London, working at the office of the Institute for Public Policy Research, helping them out with the report on the San Francisco green jobs trip I went on in April. I have also spent a lot of time catching up with London-based friends and somehow that has gone hand in hand with some a-may-zing mexican food. Mestizo near Warren St tube and Lupita near Embankment to be exact.
2. This is my favourite.
3. A while ago I featured the blog Of Another Fashion, that charts the fashion histories of U.S women of color. Well, here is its parent blog Threadbared that discusses the politics of fashion and is great. I really enjoyed this recent post on The Racial Construction of Preppiness.
4. Louis Theroux’s recent 2-part Miami Mega Jail series really affected me. I spent most of the last part crying, which admittedly isn’t super, but it is enlightening. Watch it on iPlayer.
5. Big super shout out to my friend Jo and her lovely housemates for letting me stay for a week! Thanks Jo!
6. Great post on Racialicious on the challenges facing multiracial actors like Keanu Reeves, which I found particularly interesting since a few years ago I was all about the acting. Also, what a great excuse to post a picture of Keanu Reeves. You’re welcome.
7. Heart-warming to see UK Feminista out in force last night to protest the re-opening of the Playboy club in London. Photo care of @MaeveMckeown who also tweeted this “The london playboy club closed 30 years ago cos it was anachronistic. Why reopen it now? We don’t want this. #effoffhef”