Last weekend, I made it down to End of the Road festival, camera in hand. Here are the results. The bands below are Peggy Sue, Alt-J, Jeffrey Lewis, Patti Smith and Snakedragon. Patti Smith was great! She ended her set saying “Have a fucking beautiful weekend, have a fucking beautiful life! Be strong, work hard, be free! Be free!” Ok, Patti, ok.
1. I bought this reeaaally pretty 70s dress from my new favourite shop – Wolf & Gypsy Vintage in Brighton. And it was only 25 squids, bargainous. I want somewhere nice to go now.
2. My dad is in town with work so I’ve just been to dinner with him and his colleague. I had a flick through his colleague’s guidebook to London which I found hilarious. Growing up in the UK, I’ve always been aware that I have a very “western” perspective on Japan. So I enjoyed flicking through this book and imagining how Britain would have appeared to me, had I grown up in Japan. Judging from this, marmite, teapots and smarties would have loomed large in my mind.
3. I spent yesterday afternoon filming Josie Long and Sarah from Craftivist Collective for part two of our Josie Long & Otesha meet… series. Here they are putting up a cross-stitched mini protest banner outside RBS in Liverpool St. I kind of love and dread the editing bit since I like learning new things but not when I have no idea what I’m doing.
4. I have an addiction. It’s magazines. I love them, I can’t explain it, I can’t justify it. Although I am trying to wean myself off of slebrity gossip ones so I was overjoyed (and I’m not exaggerating) to find a new magazine called Oh Comely today. It describes itself as “a magazine that inspires people to be creative, talk to their neighbours and explore new things, rather than buy stuff or lose weight.” So I can even feel virtuous while reading it.
5. One amazing blog I have discovered via Oh Comely is Missed Connections. Sophie Blackall is a Brooklyn-based illustrator who reads the Missed Connections bit on NY Craigslist and makes pictures of them. She says “Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I’m trying to pin a few of them down.”
7. One last video that’s been doing the rounds. It’s BRILLIANT. I am definitely guilty of taking iphone pictures of “new age fun with a vintage feel”! God. Apart from that I hope I escape relatively unscathed. Although of course I’m always up for a vegan crunk night.